Jan 19 , 2021
We all love ice-cold drinks; don’t we? Whether we are trying to fight scorching heat in the summers or ordering a beverage in the restaurant; we mostly prefer a tall glass of ice-cold water or a cold beverage. No matter how soothing it may be, cold beverages actually extinguish the digestive flame.
Iced drinks can wreak havoc on our body systems leading to multiple health issues. It might be the primary reason why Ayurveda recommends the elimination of iced drinks from your diet. However, there are many more reasons for it. Let’s explore the real reasons behind it.
- For Good Blood Circulation – Our digestive system requires a good flow of blood to function effectively. Drinking iced drinks can lead to the shrinking of blood vessels present in the stomach. The result is a lower blood supply to the digestive system. it also hinders the process of mineral absorption. On the other hand, warm water expands the blood vessels and encourages a smooth digestion process.
- Maintain a Healthy Heart Rate – Do you know that drinking chilled drinks can decrease your heart rate to dangerously low levels? Drinking iced drinks anytime during the year will not only affect the heart rate but will also stimulate the vagus nerve. It is a core part of the nervous system that is responsible for controlling all the involuntary functions of the human body. Vagus nerve is hardly hit by consuming iced drinks and can eventually decrease the heart rate.
- Aggravate Kapha Dosha – Consuming iced drinks can aggravate the Kapha Dosha in the body. It can also lead to issues like throat infection, cold, and respiratory issues. It is the reason why Ayurvedic doctors strictly recommend eliminating iced drinks from your diet.
- Shocks the body – Exercising is highly recommended in Ayurveda. It releases toxins from the body and promotes a healthy balance in all three doshas. But what happens when you consume iced water or chilled juice right after a workout? The temperature mismatch can release shock waves in your body. Your body will find it extremely difficult to digest the drink. In the worst cases, it can also lead to chronic stomach pains and infections.
- To Prevent Constipation – One more reason for eliminating iced drinks from your diet is to prevent constipation. Ayurveda believes that constipation is the lead cause of many health issues as it blocks positive energies from entering the body. Moreover, prolonged consumption of iced drinks can also shrink the intestine, which is again a primary reason for constipation.