Jan 13 , 2021
Here’s How Ayurveda Helps In Controlling Diabetes
Diabetes Mellitus, or the Type 2 Diabetes, is considered to be one of those lifestyle conditions that affect a person on many different fronts. It not only brings insulin resistance to a person’s life, but it also brings a number of other conditions related to blood, heart, kidneys, liver, and even the brain into a person’s life. Faced by millions across the world, diabetes continues to grow to become a wider spectrum of problems for the sector of healthcare across the world.
However, Ayurveda has had a horde of simple treatments to help in the control of diabetes. It is a tough disease, but in the books of Ayurveda, it is not an impossible mountain to climb. It can help you in controlling not only your blood sugar levels but can reverse a number of effects that the disease may have had on your body.
This article details how Ayurveda can play an instrumental role in bringing you your old life back from the grips of diabetes type 2.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Diabetes
Before beginning with the remedies, it is important for us to understand that our bodies have 3 defects, popularly known as Vata, Kapha, and Pitta. Good health and perfect body is the one where all 3 of these exist in the perfect balance. Ayurveda explains diabetes as a reduced functioning of the digestive fire in our body, which then triggers higher blood sugar levels and causes an imbalance of the three doshas. This is how you can control this condition.
- Take one unit of Guduchi, one unit of Shardunika, one unit of Kudki, and 2 units of Punarnava and mix them together. Consume this mix with warm water 2 to 3 times a day.
- Increasing the intake of turmeric in your food can help you in fighting the effects of diabetes.
- A great habit that has been a part of the Indian lifestyle is drinking water from a copper vessel. A cup of water in a copper vessel that has been kept overnight should be consumed in the morning. This will help prevent the fluctuation of blood sugar levels throughout the day. For best results, do this twice in a day, not more than that.
- Methi Dana or Fenugreek seeds is an amazing remedy for diabetics. Sprouting these methi dana overnight and eating them after waking up or drinking methi dana water is a great start to the morning.
- While abstaining from sweet is a must for diabetes patients, introducing food that is bitter in nature is also good for you. Consume more of hemp seeds, bitter gourd, amla and aloe vera for the best results.
- For reducing the levels of Kapha in your body, you must have a diet that contains less of fats thrice in a day is advised. Avoid dairy products and opt for skimmed milk and low-fat yoghurt if you can. For better digestion and empowering the digestive fire in you, drink more ginger tea, which also happens to be very beneficial in reducing Kapha.
- Most importantly, spices are your best friend in the condition of diabetes. Spices like asafoetida, turmeric, cinnamon, mustard and coriander have anti-diabetic properties, which is why you must include them in your diet.