Jun 22 , 2017
What is Hyperacidity?
Ever wonder why you sour belch or your stomach feels acidic? It is mostly because of hyperacidity. Most patients of hyperacidity do not even know what the disorder is and why it occurs? So what is hyper acidity?
Hyper Acidity can be medically defined as the excess of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. The stomach helps in digesting all the food that we eat. This is partly possible with the aid of the hydrochloric acid. The hydrochloric acid helps in breaking down the larger food particles into smaller ones, thereby aiding in the digestion process.
Thus, the hydrochloric acid helps in the digestion of food but when the quantum of hydrochloric acid increases in the stomach, it results in hyper acidity. Millions of people all over the world are becoming victims to this deadly disorder. Before getting into the symptoms of hyperacidity, let us now turn our attention towards the causes of hyperacidity.
What are the Causes of Hyperacidity?
Ever wonder what might be the reasons which lead to hyperacidity?Hyperacidity can be because of a number of reasons. Some of the most common reasons behind it are unhealthy and irregular eating habits, anxiety and stress. To understand the symptoms of hyperacidity in detail, the following is a list of all the factors which could lead to hyperacidity-
- Unhealthy eating patterns
- Eating irregularly
- Consumption of excessive alcohol and cigarettes can also lead to hyperacidity
- Consuming highly spicy food
- Eating food items which could cause a reaction in the stomach (milk and salt, fish and milk and so on and henceforth).
- Anxiety and stress
- Excessive consumption of caffeine products such as coffee and tea
- Heat Stroke (caused due to the excessive exposure to the sun)
- Sleeping immediately after eating
- Holding back the urge of urination or bowel movement can also lead to hyperacidity
Thus, in short, hyperacidity is caused due to any reason which can cause the secretion of excessive acids in the stomach. These acids then lead to the symptoms, as discussed below.
What are some of the Symptoms of hyperacidity?
Most people who know about hyperacidity, relate the disorder with acid reflux, sour belching, and uneasiness. However, hyperacidity can lead to a number of many other symptoms.
Let us now understand some of the symptoms of hyperacidity.
- Sour Belching
- Abdominal pain
- Acid Reflux
- Feeling weak and drained out
- Loss of Appetite
- Feeling Restless and Uneasy
Thus, the general restlessness and uneasiness caused due to hyperacidity bring life to a complete standstill. It makes people extremely irritable and severely impacts the health and lifestyle of the patient. This brings us to the next question and possibly the most important.
How do we treat Hyperacidity?
Now, that we have understood the causes and the symptoms of hyperacidity, the question arises, how do we treat hyperacidity?
There are a number of ways to treat hyperacidity. To make prudent lifestyle changes is the best possible way of treating or preventing hyperacidity. Fighting hyperacidity can be made easy if we take a step by step approach to make our lives more healthy and sustainable. This brings us to the steps which we can adopt to prevent ourselves from becoming victims of hyperacidity.
Prevention of Hyperacidity-
The following are some natural ways of achieving that without any harmful side effects.
- Indulge in hobbies and recreational activities which reduce stress (dramatics, yoga, playing a musical instrument, etc.)
- Reduce the intake of alcohol and lessen the consumption of cigarettes
- Minimize the consumption of spicy and hot food items- this increases the acidic level in your stomach
- Increase physical exercise (jogging, running, cycling, playing a sport, etc.)
- Reduce the consumption of tea and coffee (caffeine products)
- Avoid sleeping directly after a meal. It might lead to acid reflux and sour belching.
- Avoid the consumption of food items which might react together in your stomach (eating fish with salty food items)
- Minimize the consumption of prepackaged food and maximize the intake of natural foods
- Lessen your exposure to intense heat (especially if you are living in a hot place- avoid getting a heat stroke)
- Do not hold back the urge for urination/bowel movement (it can lead to hyperacidity and constipation)
- Adhere to a set guideline/ time table for eating your meals
- Ensure healthy and regular sleeping hours
The steps as mentioned above are relatively easy to implement if one is serious in avoiding problems such as hyperacidity. The cardinal rule which one needs to keep in mind is that living a healthy and a sustainable life will not only enable you to bypass issues such as hyperacidity but will also help avoid chronic and dangerous diseases such as cancer, diabetes, pancreatitis and so on and henceforth.
The question now boils down to what does a person do if he or she becomes a victim of hyperacidity? The person can adopt either allopathic medications or else Ayurvedic cures to treat hyperacidity. The allopathic cure of hyperacidity is riddled with many a harmful side effect which might have an adverse side effect on one’s health. The side effects can include increase in weight, nausea, harmful effects to the organs (intestines) and a host of other diseases. The safer and the more natural bet is to opt for the Ayurvedic cure for hyperacidity.
The Ayurvedic Treatment of Hyperacidity-
One such cure are the Amalki tablets. Natural herbs used in the medication reduce greatly the frequency and intensity of the hyperacidity and related symptoms. It achieves this by maintaining the gastric acid secretions, toning the digestive system and increasing the metabolism (food) levels of the patient.
Amalki also helps in fighting peptic ulcer, which is another related disease which can be near fatal. Amalki achieves this by reducing the gastric acid secretions which lead to peptic cancer. Some of the key functions of Amalki are listed below.
Key Functions of Amalki (Ayurvedic medicine for hyperacidity)
- Maintains Gastric Secretions
- Protect Gastric Mucosa (A membrane layer in the stomach)
- Acts as immunomodulatory (this treats hyperacidity by using powerful immunes)
- Acts as Anti-Ulcerogenic (prevents ulcers)
- Anti-Helicobacter Pylori (Helicobacter Pylori is a harmful bacteria found in the stomach)
- Acts as Anti-Oxidant
Thus, if you are a victim of hyperacidity, Amalki can help you by reducing the gastric secretions in your body and thereby, maintaining a balance.
Click on the link below to know more.